Pages

Sunday 5 September 2010

30 August 2010

Notting Hill Carnival

So I ventured off to the Notting Hill Carnival with stories of stabbings and gang related activity and was warned to get out of there when the sun went down. On the Sunday which is considered family day there were 80 arrests made. Over a million people attend the carnival each year and it is the biggest street carnival in Europe.

The carnival is basically a celebration of being from the Caribbean and features a variety of floats with people dressed in elaborate costumes. Music plays all day from the different floats and as the day goes on it becomes more and more rowdy.

A colleague of mine had said to me if you see people running in one direction get out the way. 10 minutes after he had said that we were in Portobello road when a mass of people started running towards us followed by flying bottles. I managed to scramble to the wall and watched as the bottle throwing dicks went by.

Overall it is a pretty good but tiring day out, if I had to do it again I would rather stick to one spot and then watch the floats from there. When the sun went down I got out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment